I have been using Lilypond for a few weeks now to typeset some piano music
(which I'll hopefully submit to the Mutopia project at some point) and am
extremely pleased with the quality of its output.

There are a couple of things, however, that I have been unable to reproduce
using Lilypond which are pretty essential in most piano music.

The first is when a section is very high, it is often written an octave lower
and then an "8" is written above the music, with a dotted or solid line lasting
until the music is low enough to be written at the correct pitch.

My second problem is tempo markings above the score - the only way I have been
able to do these is by attaching them to a note (eg. a8^"Poco moto") but this
gives a big gap after the note. Is there a better way?

One solution I have thought of for both of these problems is to have a "lyrics"
like section, but that goes above the stave rather than below it. These two
problems would then become trivial to do, although the octave wouldn't be a very
elegant solution as you'd have to transpose down the octave yourself (which
would mess up MIDI production, but this doesn't bother me).

The other couple of things I want to ask about are less important, but anyway:

o Piano sustain pedal signs and endings (a large asterisk) go below the score -
  easily done using lyrics but a proper "Ped." sign included in the font would
  be much nicer.

o Accents in the piece's title - I know this isn't Lilypond's problem but if I
  want say an umlaut on a u (as in Fur Elise) is there a way to do this? I know
  you can get grave accents by doing \\`e but \\"u doesn't seem to work. Any
  ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help - and a big thankyou to all the programmers for
getting Lilypond this far. It's great.

Chris

--
        Chris Sawer - Worthing, Sussex, England     ICQ: 15010147
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   PGP 2.6.3 public key available on request