> The first is when a section is very high, it is often written an octave lower
> and then an "8" is written above the music, with a dotted or solid line lasting
> until the music is low enough to be written at the correct pitch.

Right now, the only available workaround is probably to typeset this
as a lyrics staff. The syllable extender line mechanism can be used to
get a solid line.

> o Accents in the piece's title - I know this isn't Lilypond's problem but if I
>   want say an umlaut on a u (as in Fur Elise) is there a way to do this? I know
>   you can get grave accents by doing \\`e but \\"u doesn't seem to work. Any
>   ideas?

In order to to get \\"u in the generated TeX output file, you have to
escape each backslash, i.e. write \\\\"u
The other alternative is to write the ü directly in the input with
its 8-bit character code according to the Latin1 encoding.

  /Mats