[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Have I missed something?

Yes.  You should view the current \property as something that has a
value whilst you read the resulting sheet music from start to end.  It
is like the "current clef" setting: it has a value while you are
reading the music, and it may change while you are reading. The
current clefs helps you convert from notation to musical meaning
(pitches in this case).

LilyPond also has this notion, but it uses "current clef" to convert
from pitches to printed notes.  Issuing a \property Staff.currentClef
(a hypothetical property) command tells LilyPond to set the
currentClef at a specific point in time.  In effect, a \property
says "do the writing process differently".

What you (and a lot of others) want, is something that does not change
the "writing process", but what *is* written (say, the style of a
note you specify).  You want a command that changes the input, and not
the process of converting the input to symbols.

Schematically

        1. Music   =============>  3. Notation

                    2. Interpreting

\property Foo.bar = "something" changes a variable that exists in 2.
The input file roughly is 1.  What you have been describing to me
(variable settings that follow the nestings in the input file), is
something that should operates in 1.

I know that this is difficult to follow. I hope everything clears up a
bit when you see an implementation.