> "pdfTeX , A TeX variant by Han The Thanh which can produce
   > Acrobat PDF instead of dvi (available on CTAN as part of
   > systems/web2c/)"
   >
   > It contains a link that points to:
   > ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex/
   >
   > Perhaps this produces smaller pdf files?

It seems to me it would be better to keep TeX as it is producing dvi
files; but to have a "dvipdf" program that produces pdf files from
dvi.  This is more in the spirit of the design of TeX.  It would be
nice if it were an extension of "dvips" because that would allow all
the ps inserts that lilypond needs.

As for smaller files, if the Acrobat compression program is
proprietary, the designer of pdfTeX will have the same probems as the
builders of xxxtopdf converters.

        Murray