Hi, I'm not exactly fluent in English musical terms, so the subject of
the mail might sound a bit irritating :)

What I mean is a symbol which I've seen "hacked up" in some of the
mutopia scores by attaching a \huge'ed apostrophe to a note and which
indicates that the respective voice may now stop playing and breathe
in instead, for wind instruments. I think this is also used with other
instruments to indicate distinct melody parts. The German word for
this is "Atemzeichen".

Now, I don't like this "apostrophe" hack, since it doesn't fit well,
optically spoken.. what I've been coming across very often in printed
music (for brass) is that this sign is indicated by a vertical line,
as thick as the staff lines, at the top of the staff or at the bottom
of the staff, depending on which voice it is attached to:

    ----|---------------------

    --------------------------

As I've recently started typesetting some music for the brass ensemble
of our local church, I would be really happy to have this mechanism.

Could anybody give me a hint as to in which direction I should work in
order to add this feature to LilyPond? I'm ready to go hacking C++, if
necessary :)

--
michael krause [aka raw style / lego] - www.tu-harburg.de/~semk2104/