I am contemplating to junk the current meaning of the underscore in
lyric mode, since you can get the same effect using quotes.

I was wondering how Real Users would feel about such a change.  I
myself have these thoughts:

PRO: If _ is a normal character, that would bring identifier names
with underscores in them one step closer (which is a Cool Thing). It
also makes the behavior of lyric mode somewhat simpler.

CON: Less readable, more typing work.  How would we do extenders?

(of course, we ignore the non-issue of backwards compatibility.)