> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:17:47 +0200
> From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Tuesday, 13 July 1999, drarn writes:

[...]
> >     There is all kinds of bad stuff that has arisen from the laziness of
> > programmer-typesetters, the most egregious of which is the dotted rest.
> >     If OSU says dotted rests are ok, lose OSU.
>

> Browsing through some fine music, I cannot seem to find any dotted rests.
> Maybe Lily should issue a warning i).  --> TODO

Don't think so. If e.g. with meter 12/8 a bar has only one 1/8th as
first note. How would you then notate the rests?

Chlapik recommends either  r8 r8 r4 r8 r2d
                       or  r8 r8 r4d r2d
       not recommended is  r8 r8 r4 r8 r4 r8

Or more dramatically: meter 15/8 and the same case.
Chlapik recommends  r8 r8 r2d r2d
   not recommended  r8 r8 r4 r8 r4 r8 r4 r8 r4 r8
             wrong  r8 r8 r4d r4d r4d r4d

For more cases look ftp://ftp.gmd.de/music/musixtex/add-ons/rests.ps