[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> When I use the provided lilypond-profile shell script to initialize
> the MFINPUTS variable, metafont writes pk files into the current
> working directory when xdvi is called.
>
> When I unset the MFINPUTS variable and put a link from
> /usr/local/share/lilypond/mf to
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/lilypond, metafont writes the pk files
> to /var/lib/texmf/pk.

We used to have such a scheme, but it has some problems:

* You need to be root (This is no problem on your own GNU box) for
  this to work, and

* Detecting where to put the symlink is a complete pain in the arse.

* I don't think it is good policy to muddle with the directory
  structure of a different package (in this case, tetex).

The current situation is not perfect, but it makes installing Lilypond
a no-brainer.

Are there any TeX gurus with good ideas on this ?