When I use the provided lilypond-profile shell script to initialize
the MFINPUTS variable, metafont writes pk files into the current
working directory when xdvi is called.

When I unset the MFINPUTS variable and put a link from
/usr/local/share/lilypond/mf to
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/lilypond, metafont writes the pk files
to /var/lib/texmf/pk.

I think the latter is a better solution as it doesn't clobber your
working directories. I suggest to change the Lilypond installation
procedure accordingly. Similarly, /usr/local/share/lilypond/tex and
.../ps could be handled and TEXINPUTS don't have to be modified, but
this isn't nearly as annoying.

Besides, on my RedHat 6.0 system, I copied the lilypond-profile script
to /etc/profile.d and now my shell variables contain double values:

declare -x
TEXINPUTS="/usr/local/share/lilypond/tex:/usr/local/share/lilypond/ps:/usr/local/share/lilypond/tex:/usr/local/share/lilypond/ps::"

Okay, those were just some things that I think should be fixed for
1.2..

--
michael krause [aka raw style / lego] - www.tu-harburg.de/~semk2104/