> |I have some technical problems with the co-existence of MusiXTeX and it's
> |pre-processors on one hand and lilypond on the other. Before I installed
> |lilypond I have had the feta fonts installed into my MiKTeX localtexmf tree
> |for quite a long time in order to reference the special mensuration time
> |signatures in feta-timesig in some MusiXTeX macros. These feta metafont
> |sources are 'frozen' with their last changes from the beginning of june. But
> |after I had installed the full lilypond package it turned out that I got
> |'unexpected' symbols in the angels.ly sample source which I get rid of only
> |after having flushed my pre-existing feta tfm and pk files. But then I don't
> |get my MusiXTeX output files right any more :-(
> |
> |When I look at the current set of feta symbols with the TeX testfont utility
> |the special symbols created by Mats and me don't appear at all in the table
> |for feta16 while they appear incomplete but with different sequence numbers
> |(octal 137-151) in feta20. As created from my old feta sources these symbols
> |have the octal numbers 174-203. The two versions of feta-timesig.mf are _not_
> |different.

That's weird. You must have some old copy of feta16.tfm and feta16.pk.
Be sure to remove all old generated feta font files and try again.
The character codes keep changing between Lilypond versions, when
we add new symbols.

> |As I expect MusiXTeX to be my primary typesetting platform for some time I
> |have to get this conflict solved in order to keep both MusiXTeX and LilyPond
> |fully functioning. Could you possibly give me some helping advice - or is
> |this rather a question for Mats ?
>
> Could you have the conflicting fonts in separate hierarchies and set
> TEXFONTS appropriately for MusicTeX and lilypond.  I wonder if Mats
> has any other ideas?

I would even consider renaming the version you use for MusiXTeX. The
other alternative which is relatively safe to Lilypond updates would be
to use the file feta20.tex (is it included in the Windows distribution?)
which names all the characters. You have to implement the \fetdef macro
yourself, but something like
\def\fetdef#1#2{%
  \def#1{\hbox{\fetchar{#2}}}}
\font\fetasixteen = feta16
\def\fetchar#1{{\fetasixteen\char#1}}
should work.

> I have POSTSCRIPT=1 in my $HOME/_lilyrc file so that dvips is always
> run.  Then a preview with ghostview.

You learn a new feature every day. Thanks!

     /Mats