On Wednesday, 25 August 1999, John Sankey writes:

> In the following, beaming is supposed to be done by 1/2's, but a few
> bars (e.g. 4, 8 ...) are done in 1/4's. Shouldn't be that way, but I
> can't see any difference between the ones that are beamed correctly
> and the few that aren't...

I couldn't see the difference at first either.  But it's simple if
you know what causes it.

Look at the this:

:r a.ly
\score {
  \notes {
%    \time 2/2;
    a8. a16 a8 a a4 a
    c8. c16 c8. c16 c4 c
  }
  \paper{
    \translator{
      \VoiceContext
      beamAutoBegin = 0;
%      beamAutoEnd = "1/2";
      beamAutoEnd_8 = "1/2";
%      beamAutoEnd3_16 = "1/2";
      beamAutoEnd_12 = "1/4";
      beamAutoEnd_16 = "1/2";
    }
  }
}

In the first bar, when the autobeamer reaches the third note (a8),
it sees if beam must continue:

   * shortest=16: stop at 1/2 --> continue
   * current=8 stop at 1/2 --> continue

so, the beam continues.

Second bar:

   * shortest=16: stop at 1/2 --> continue
   * current=8. stop at: nothing specified: end of beat = 1/4 --> stop

so, the beam stops.

Therefore, uncommenting one of the two commented beamAutoEnd settings
will cause the beam to continue on the 8. at 1/4.  Changing \time 4/4
to \time 2/2 would also.

However, now that I think of it, maybe it is better to remove the
'nothing specified->stop at end of beat' rule?

Otherwise, quite some entries should be added to auto-beam-settings.ly,

   time4_4beamAutoEnd3_16 = "1/2"

being just one of the obviously missing ones...

Greetings,

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/