HWN: "... This scheme makes sense, because you only have to set
horizontalNoteShift once in each voice.  (Otherwise you'd have to
set and unset it for each collision in a score.)"

I agree that it makes sense for most music. I'm only pointing out
that it doesn't work with a lot of harpsichord music (at least half
of Scarlatti in particular) because the writing is too dense, and
I'm trying to find a solution.

Might this work (and continue to work in future) ?

Explicitly set horizontalNoteShift=0 for each voice
  (will this turn off the current-default shifting with 2 voices?
   If not, what will?)
Around each individual note that then collides with another, put:
horizontalNoteShift=1;forceHorizontalShift=0.5; (value as required)
<note>
horizontalNoteShift=0;

John