There is this appalling situation in 1.2.0 :

good:

         |*  -----staff line ----------
        *|
         |  ------------staff line
         | = one stem

wrong:

       *| -------------
         |-------------
         | = stem 2

right:

       *| -------------
        |-------------
        | = stem 2

The two stems *must* line up, and don't. This looks very seriously bad.
It should have been taken care of 0.6 or 0.7 or something. It is scary
that it arises in 1.x.

I would really like to contribute to a howto notate. I am not up to
speed as a programmer, nor do I know enough linux, but I am very willing
to have a go at it, one thing at a time. To be useful, it will have to
be brief. It would be impossible without examples, and they should not
be subject to changes of version, so what format would be good for the
pictures? I can be very terse when I am not trying to be rhetorical and
convince someone of that of which I'm not sure they want to be
convinced.(!?) :-)

Good typesetting is better than bad engraving would be a better way to
put it, as you say. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have not seen
enough bad engraving, or perhaps not enough bad things in good
engraving. :-)

I have not been trying to convince you that I have any expertise or
anything like that, but rather that there is no authority either in
precept or example on which you can rely, except for bad examples. You
must rely on reasoned judgement alone.

How did you get a copy of Ross? It was(is?) out of print for decades. I
was not able to get one *when I cared*.

Chlapik and Ross are total incompetents at writing engraving software.
You know far more about that than they did. Their point of view is
wrong. They accepted more or less established rules, some of which could
not and can not ever be consistently implemented in engraving, even less
in software, and then prided themselves on solving the problems they
created. You must stop doing that, to be successful. You find yourself
in an endless cycle of digging holes and filling them in, as the folks
over at gnome are doing with security issues. If a rule can not be
implemented with logic and consistency, it is a bad rule, and it ought
not to be implemented at all. If you want to dig a hole, you have to
start getting the dirt out of the hole, and not keep dropping it on your
own head.

There was a discussion earlier about a slur which I think *might* be
mistaken for a tie.

This:
   =========
   |  |  |*|
   |  | *|
   | *|   /
  *|  ___/

Could be a short cut meaning:

   =========
   |  |  |*|
   |  | *|  \______
   | *|   \_______
  *|  \__________
    \__________

I wouldn't put this past Dvorak at all. He was at the right time for it.

I think that raises the curved line interpretations to 9. Number 10 is
using a curved line to frame a *bis* mark. (Don't even think it. :-))
Number 11 was to indicate where the thumb played the next string up,
which was altogether standard from 1826. I have seen it used in my
lifetime. Yes, it is bad. Yes, it is too many. *Not my fault*.

The reason I have not got to slurs and ties is that I found that we are
*all* wrong. I am not happy about that. My conclusions are very
reluctant, but I'm almost there. Aren't those the best kind of
conclusions? ;-)

I have 2668 emails in my trash file. I don't know enough to use anything
but netscape. :-)

--
Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings!
     U  U   u       ^^         `    'U u   U  ''`'`