On Tuesday, 5 October 1999, drarn writes:

> The two stems *must* line up, and don't. This looks very seriously bad.
> It should have been taken care of 0.6 or 0.7 or something. It is scary
> that it arises in 1.x.

What's in a number?  Remember, we went from 0.1.78 to 1.0.0.  We had
some short discussions about this.  Originally, I guess Han-Wen and
I both had a 'somewhat bugfree typesetter' in mind, for 1.0.

However, when the 0.2 release approached, we saw that we probably wouldn't
reach that goal in less than ten years.  We had the impression that < 1.0
versions would scare any non-hacker user away.  So, we redefined our
goal for 1.0: a typesetter that is usable for typesetting simple scores.
In my view, the 1.0 boundary says something about the maturity and stability
of a software package: > 1.0 can be used for some things; < 1.0 may not
build, not install, and erase the contents of your hard disk while you try.

Your 1.0 (our previous 1.0) will be numbered something like version 10.0.0,
to be released in some twenty years from now :-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/