On Tuesday, 5 October 1999, John Sankey writes:

> "1.2 is supposed to be stable release ... this is going to
> change: as
> of next week "
>
> Oh dear - I'm *so* close to production status...

:-)
This "just" means, that we'll hopefully be putting out a lot
of 1.3.x stuff, that produces no useful output.  1.3 may be
better than 1.2 in a month's time, it may take longer...

> Mats: "Of course the meaning [of stemLength] would then be the
> average stem length for the whole beam..."
> I disagree here - it would be very valuable in tight polyphonic
> keyboard music to be able to set the exact lengths of the first
> and last notes of a beam, to thread the beam through the
> obstacles.

Yes, of course.  There are lots of other features that are as easy
to ask for, and sound as reasonable as this one.  The trouble is,
a feature like this is quite a lot of work, and doesn't fit easily
into Lily, in her current form.  Hopefully, 1.3 will be adding stuff
just to make things like this even an option.  The sooner we stop
'fixing stuff', and start on 1.3, the better, I guess.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/