On 11-Oct-99 Werner Icking wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:53:27 +0100 (BST)
>> From: Chris Sawer <<a
>> href="/tpl/Message/206QNATUF/Editor?[EMAIL PROTECTED]">ch
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>>
>
>> .ps.gz   can be opened directly by Ghostscript [...]
>> .pdf.gz  can be opened directly by Ghostscript [...]
>
> but there are or were some problems, that all files named *.*.gz were
> then routed to gsview/ghostscript :-(

I personally don't like web browsers sending files directly to
applications so always save them to disc first - this avoids such
problems :-)

Of course, this is up to the person viewing the page.

> [...]
>> BUT the mutopia ftp server can ungzip files "on-the-fly", ie. if you
>> request <A HREF
>> ="ftp://sca.uwaterloo.ca/pub/Mutopia/something.ps">ftp://sca.uwaterlo
>> o.ca/pub/Mutopia/something.ps</a> and all that
>> exists in that directory is something.ps.gz then the ftp server will
>> un-gzip something.ps.gz and supply it as something.ps.
>
> [...]
>> However, the problem of scores still exists - how do you cope with a
>> .ly file that outputs multiple ps files, or even a score consisting
>> of
>> multiple .ly files - this scenario is not currently covered by
>> Mutopia.
>
> The server may be configured such a way that a user may get the
> contents of one directory "xyz" (inclusive all subdirectories) as zip
> or tar or tar.gz file, if she/he orders "xyz.zip" or "xyz.tar" or
> "xyz.tar.gz" ("xyz.tgz"). This may be forbidden by putting a file
> named ".notar" into a directory. This makes sense e.g. for the
> top-most directory of a big ftp-server :-)

Thanks - it appears that sca.uwaterloo.ca can do .tar.gz but not .zip
(I didn't try tar). I'm working on a solution to this problem that
should be uploaded by the weekend...

Chris

--

Chris Sawer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]