> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:09:13 +0100
> From: Dirk Lattermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> consider the case
> gis2 gis ~ | gis gis4 gis |
>
> in many occurences of printed music, I see a sharp sign
> on the first and the fourth gis, i.e., the note tied to
> the left "remembers" the accidental from the previous bar,
> but the first note thereafter sets it anew for the current bar.

If I had to typeset this the result would be:

  #g2 #g2 ~ | g2 #g4 g4 |

But this is a special example, because there are no other notes
between the many gis. Consider a lot of 1/16th "gis a b gis ..."
where succeeding gis are tied. This would be typeset:

#g a b g~g a b g~g a b #g~ | g a b #g~g a b g~g a b #g~ | g ...
                       ^           ^
                       |           + required because up to now
                       |             there is no g-sharp in this
                       |             bar.
                       + must be here because of the tie into
                         the next bar. Without the tie the next
                         g would get the sharp. Because of the
                         tie this has to be moved in front of
                         the tie.

An example can be found in Bach's Ouvertüre No. 3 (Suite Nr. 3)
first movement, violin I, bar 59-60

 e16 d c d e d c b a8 f+ b- #d ~ | d f a- #d~d f b- d | ...

Some editors repeat the moved accidental as cautionary accidental
if there is a line-break. I don't like that behaviour, because
e.g. in the above example which is in D-major the signature
#f #c is immediately followed by (#d), which is hard to read.

-- Werner Icking