Matthew Hiller wrote:

>         Does Lilypond support multiple simultaneous time signatures (e.g.,
> one part written in 3/4 against another part in 4/4)? I've seen modern
> pieces that are notated that way.
>
>         I'm asking mostly idly at the moment -- I may eventually have to
> implement such a thing in Denemo, but would be happier not.

This is something we'd quite like at the ICSRiM, and (putting words in Adam's
mouth 8-) may be prepared to put effort into coding it.  Our file format
supports it at the moment.  One of my colleagues over in Music frequently
complains about not being able to do this in one of the commercial packages,
and I was talking to a friend of mine who is a professional musical director
a few weekends ago, who said he'd had to do it once and it was a pain for him
too.

The thing which seems difficult across all the packages is getting, say, 3/4
against 4/4 with the bars aligned (i.e. three in one stave the time of
four).  It didn't seem too difficult to just get 3/4 and 4/4 on the same
sheet, but with the bars in different places. (I think I was watching Finale
on a Mac powerbook, but I can't really remember)

I've no idea how to do either with lily 8-)  As I've said before, some of
this is stuff we want to use for analysis, so printing it out can wait.
It'll have to come, though.

Nick/

--
Dr N J Bailey,                                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Deputy Director, Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Research in Music