On Saturday, 29 April 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm beginning to use lilypond and would like, first of all,
> to thank the developers for their fine work. Long life to lily! :-)

Thanks,

I've added your remarks to the todo.

> 6 - I've looked around some of the initialisation files and
> found a reference to "sustainPedalPadding", but I was unable
> to make it have any effect on the output (tried "\property
> Voice.sustainPedalPadding = 30"). Shouldn't it work? I only
> tried this on .46.

This may well not work yet.

> 1 - Is there a shorter sintax for "repeat unfold"? Take
> something like this:
>
> Things get more readable using repeats (imagine 8 of each...),
> but typing "repeat unfold 4 { blah }" everytime is a little
> annoying. It would be easier to use, say:
> <c4 e g>**3 | <c e a>**3 or <c4 e g>X3 | <c e a>X3
>
> Or something else.

Things like this most probably won't go.  One syntax for a repeat
is enough, this makes things more confusing.  And worse: what's
next, macros?  If you want convenient typing, use your editor,
or a macro preprocessor such as m4 or cpp.

> 2 - The newer versions support "cresc. - - - - - - - -",
> which is cool, but it would be nice if it would also be
> possible to do that with any kind of string, not only
> with dynamics. You may want, for instance, "rall. - - - -",
> "stretto - - - - -", "smorz. - - - - -" etc. I guess this
> should be implemented as a kind of "text spanner" (an
> "evolution" of textscript). If that's already there, sorry,
> but I didn't find mentions to it.

This feature was added fairly recently.  Indeed, we want other
types of continuation (eg, empty:  "pp cresc.              ff").
But note that the (de)crescendi are interpreted by the midi
engine too; they have some `meaning' and are not mere text spanners.

If you just want the text 'rall. - - - -' you can fake it with text
scripts.  But, it should be implemented as a true tempo change, which
then typesets as a 'tempo-change-spanner'.

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter