On Wednesday, 5 July 2000, Carsten Block writes:

> Hello,
> I have done a small patch which adds support for kpathsea to lilypond.
> Just have a look at it.

Hi,

Looking through the changes in Lily during my vacation, I found that
your patch works fine for our own feta fonts.  However, it seems that
I'm having problems with my configuration of texmf's standard cmr fonts.
A second run of lilypond (after the feta fonts have been created), looks
like this (LilyPond warnings trimmed):

    19:35:16 appel ~/usr/src/lilypond$ kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
    /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm

    19:35:17 appel ~/usr/src/lilypond$ !L
    LANG=C lilypond input/trip.ly
    GNU LilyPond 1.3.74.jcn1

    Now processing: `input/trip.ly'
    Parsing...
    kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmr10
    mktextfm: /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm already exists.
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /usr/share/texmf/ls-R unwritable.

    kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmti10
    mktextfm: /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmti10.tfm already exists.
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /usr/share/texmf/ls-R unwritable.

I've tried setting environment variables like TEXMF, TEXTMF, but to
no avail.  Any idea what's wrong (maybe you could even write a small
entry into INSTALL.texi or FAQ.texi?)

Also, LilyPond won't build without the kpathsea lib anymore, which
might be a big problem for some platforms (GNU/Windows): you don't
want to recompile TeX, and probably cannot cater for different
installations of TeX with one universal kpathsea lib.  I'll look
into compiling (porting?) kpathsea for GNU/Windows, but it would
be good if you could suggest a workaround if there's no kpathsea lib.

Thanks,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter