On Wednesday, 26 July 2000, John Henckel writes:

> When you get a chance, I would appreciate if you can add a feature for me.
>
> I am typesetting some hymns, and the prevailing convention in hymnals is to
> have BOTH a slur on top and a slur on the bottom.  So I would like to see a
> \slurupdown option to enable this.
>
> The attached jpeg shows a picture of what I want, which I produced with
> *considerable* effort by overlaying two voices with the same notes (one
> with \slurup and one \slurdown)

Judging from your picture, I conclude that you actually probably want
something different, that's also on my whishlist.  In LilyPond, if
possible, we want to try to grasp the *meaning* of the music as
accurately as possible.  Now what is it that you are asking?  You
want two slurs, but seem to specify one Voice that has two threads.

Consider:

    %
    % We'd want to combine the stems, but have two slurs too...
    %
    \score{
            \context Staff <
                    \context Voice=v \notes\relative c''{
                            \stemup
                            a4 c4.()g8 a4
                    }
                    \context Voice=u \notes\relative c''{
                            \stemdown
                            g4 e4.()d8 c4
                    }

            \paper{
                    linewidth=60.\mm;
            }
    }

This is *almost* what you want, right?  Only, for some reason, several
stems were combined, while others were not (btw, I can see why you'd
want to have two stems, up and down, on the firs g in the second measure:
it's the only way to suggest two notes iso one.  But why does the first
chord <a g> have two stems?  Maybe just a small typesetting error?).

So, what would do the trick for you, and would have some sensible meaning,
would be to have an engraver (or maybe an iterator) that can combine
noteheads from different voices onto one stem.  This is what you see
often in combined parts for the wind sections; I'd love to have this
feature for the Coriolan, but it may be very tricky.

Until then, you have three options: one voice, one set of slurs.  Two
voices, two sets of slurs, two sets of stems.  Or kludge it all...

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter