John> This is the combined soprano and alto parts.  The conventional rules for
John> hymnals is that the stems should be combined unless the values are
John> different or the pitch differs by less than a third.  Take a look at the
John> hymnal next time you go to church.  Glen doesn't like the convention and
John> has advised me to just make soprano go up, and alto go down.  I don't know.

This rule doesn't seem to be the case in any hymnal I have.  I checked
the following:
    Modern Hymnbooks:
        The Australian Hymnbook
        Hymns for Today's Church
        Anglican Hymnal with Australian Supplement
        Congregational Hymnbook
        Psalm Praise
        Oxford book of Carols
        Presbyterian Hymnal and metrical psalms
    Early Hymnbooks:
        Songs for the People Known as Methodists (1786)
        The Psalmsinger's Delight (1760)

The modern hymnbooks all set soprano stem up alto stemdown, tenor stem
up, bass stem down in short score; the Psalmsinger's Delight has
separate tenor and bass staves;  the early Methodist  hymnal is
essentially the same as the modern hymnals.

I suggest you do likewise, as I did in the `Hymns' direcoiry inside
the mutopia directory int he Lilypond source.