On Monday, 31 July 2000, "Mark Hindley" writes:

> I have little experience in cross-compiling, but I think the problem here is
> that the customised libtool (klibtool) expects to build kpathsea as part of
> the texk tree.
>
> So I unpacked the whole texk-7.2.tar.gz.
> Ran ./configure to configure the lot. No configure arguments required. Then
> cd kpathsea && make.
>
> No problems. A few warnings about __cdecl being redefined. That was it. I
> know it is a bit of a pain having to unpack and configure everything.

Ok, thanks.  That works fine.

> Having kpathsea certainly makes building lilypond easier. The build process
> can find the font files etc on its own.

Ok, now what about running?  I've made a *new* binary for .75 that
uses kpathsea:

http://appel.dyndns.org/lilypond/gnu-windows/tar/lilypond-1.3.75-i686-cygwin.bin.tar.gz

but would/does this work?  Shouldn't kpathsea be told where its search
tree starts (How?)

>  I certainly could build them and make them available. I am not sure how
> long I am going to be active with windows. The reason I came to lilypond is
> that I am planning to switch to linux, and wanted to make sure that I could
> get software for the things I need to do - like music typesetting. However,
> now the build is set up it wouldn't be much to keep doing them. Isn't Jeff
> Reed still providing them?

Jeff hasn't got the time to keep up with development all the time, he
makes/made stable releases, including some fancy setup stuff, I believe.
The reason I started doing the cross-builds, is to provide some
continuity.  People don't tend to stick with windows, or can't
compile/can't keep up with development.

If you decide to distribute binaries, just send announcment and urls
to gnu-music-discuss.  That would be relief me from the task, but
you'll have to see whether its convenient for you to do so.

> of the system() commands is actually 2 commands separated with  a ';'. Win95
> (poor thing!) isn't up to that.
> Here is a patch which works fine and shouldn't upset any else!

Thanks, I've put this one in.

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter