Heath> Rob Walker writes:
>> here is a test for you all to try out.
>>
>> open up a register which will need to have the columns resized.  move
>> it to the right side of the desktop, so that the right edge of it is
>> right near the right edge of the desktop.  grab the left edge of the
>> register, and size it a bit too small, so that the scrollbar at the
>> bottom of the register is quite useful.
>>
>> then resize a column, any column.
>>
>> This really harshed on my principle of least surprise, I must say.

Heath> I don't follow.  What happens when you do this, and what do you
Heath> think should happen ?  For me, the column and the register both
Heath> resize correctly; what is a little unfortunate is that the
Heath> window origin is moved.  This is probably window-manager
Heath> dependent, but once I figure out what is going on and what is
Heath> appropriate, it can be fixed.

yeah, the right side of the window flings out to the right and
disappears.  This is due to the register window getting larger. I
found that kinda odd.  What should have happened?  The one column that
I resized should have resized down and the window size should have
stayed the same, and the srollbar should have consumed more of the
bottom of the register window, but I do not think that the register
window should have gotten larger overall to accomodate the column
widths.

Does this mean that I think the register window should only shrink and
not grow according to resizing the columns?  I think so, yes.

rob