> This helped.  It now gets past the ./configure.
> Unfortunately, now the make gnome fails.  Mresumably I'm missing snother useful
> package, the one containing various include files whose names start
> starting with "gdk_".  The tail end of the installation log follows.
>
> These initials sound familiar, but I can't quite place them.
>
> Can you tell me where to find these?
>
> And, to save some email, do you know of any handy way to search the SuSE
> disks for packages that contains specific files that are *not* installed?

Thanks for the hints.
The package I wanted turned out to be imlibdev.
Please mention *this* in the README.SuSE, too.

Now it is running nicely, except that importing quicken files seems to
be *awfully* slow.  It looks as if the program crashes, but come back after doing the
laundry, and, lo, the import has finished.

I guess I only have to do this once. loacing ans saving are fast enough, though.

> > One additional hint: You may need to run gnucash once as root, so that guile
> > can set up a catalog for slib.

I guess I have to find out about guile to know what this means.
Just doing it worked fine, though.

-- hendrik.