On 29 Mar 2000 20:48:02 CST, the world broke into rejoicing as
Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> Scott Haug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Warning: this is a really long email.  It details my past few weeks
> > using gnucash and some ideas/suggestions I've had for it in the
> > process.  I apologize to those of you who have to pay for your
> > internet access by the minute.
>
> (Ditto what Bill said about not apologizing for being helpful.)
>
> > I believe Moneydance actually enters the next highest number of the
> > most recent check in the register, but this isn't perfect either,
> > since I often postdate checks and I thus end up with checks with
> > higher check numbers coming before lower-numbered checks in the
> > register.
>
> An alternate would be to record the last check number entered and bump
> that.  That would require storing non-financial per-account data
> across invocations, and guess what... <surprise> we need that for a
> lot of other things, so as Dave alluded to later, stay tuned, we'll be
> addressing that soon.  Then we can decide whether or not using the
> most recent number as the base is the right thing.  I think it's
> likely to be pretty good.

Quite a good assumption, so long as it comes on a by-account basis,
and provides an easy way of aborting this to replace the "ID" with one of:
a) ATM
b) Debit/Credit Memo
c) Deposit
without requiring one to type in a bunch of "Deletes" to clean out the
"ID number."

> > * It would be nice if autocomplete for the description would also
> > enter in the information from the last transaction with that
> > description.  That's the default behavior in moneydance and quicken,
> > and I find it speeds up my data entry considerably.  Also, I was
> > curious why the autocomplete for the description didn't also pop up
> > a window the same way the autocomplete for the account did.  That
> > way, someone could type in the first char or two, and then use the
> > arrow keys to find the exact description they were looking for.
>
> Nice idea, though this could be a pretty long listbox if you've opened
> a register on thousands of transactions.  Perhapse we could limit it
> to the last N descriptions if we added this feature.

This *will* be unworkable if there are thousands of transactions; it
should nonetheless be useful enough to have that "register" that looks
to the nearest five or ten relevant transactions...

--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #41. "I will not fly into a rage and kill a
messenger who brings me bad news just to illustrate how evil I really