On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Patrick Baker wrote:
> > Expenditures are *discrete* events.  I do not see the difference betweeen your
> > "velocity of money" approach and Quicken/MSMoney's approaches.  The only
> > difference is that your base time period is much smaller (1 day rather than 1
> > month).   Over the long term, your approach works, but in the short term it
> > falls down.
> The reason I was thinking more about this approach than a report scenario
> is because I don't tend to do a budget reconciliation at a particular time
> of year.  I would like more of a continuous approach, and thus took the
> logical extreme in considering a velocity rather than looking at discrete
> transactions.  I admit that it's a unfamiliar way of looking at things,
> and if it is not obvious to most then it should not be implemented.

Mine's not all that familiar either.

> I also was thinking about my approach because it's nice to have the
> expense accounts show how much you're allowed to spend at a particular
> moment in time, rather than the amount already spent from an aribitrary
> date when you started keeping track.

That's exactly what I want.  From my example:

if the budget report says that a line item has a lower limit of $18 and
an upper limit of $36, and an actual of $14, that means I can blow $4 on
anything, and $18 on the line item.

> Integrating budgeting with accounts then allows you to do things like
> transfer money between budget accounts if you want to cut back on
> something in order to do something else.
>
>                                               -Patrick Baker

In the budget realm, that's simply called adjusting your budget.  I've never
used the Quicken virtual savings accounts, though.

Bryan