Paul> (2) Configurable directory to place backups.  This would allow

that's brilliant!  as a matter of fact, it is so brilliant, emacs has
already done it, thus cementing that idea into the "brilliant idea
hall of fame".

C-h v auto-save-directory RET  (note the other wonderful directories
at the bottom, for efs-stuff).

oh, how I long for the day when I can use efs over ssh to "edit" my
gnucash data files in an emacs major mode, with the efs-saves ocurring
on the home side of the link.

rob

ps.  /home/rob is on nfs, so autosaves are done locally.

`auto-save-directory' is a variable declared in Lisp.

Value: "/var/tmp/rob/rob-autosave"

Documentation:
If non-nil, fixed directory for autosaving: all autosave files go
there.  If this directory does not yet exist at load time, it is
created and its mode is set to 0700 so that nobody else can read your
autosave files.

If nil, each autosave files goes into the same directory as its
corresponding visited file.

A non-nil `auto-save-directory' could be on a local disk such as in
/tmp, then auto-saves will always be fast, even if NFS or the
automounter is slow.  In the usual case of /tmp being locally mounted,
note that if you run emacs on two different machines, they will not
see each other's auto-save files.

The value (expand-file-name "~/autosave/") might be better if /tmp
is mounted from swap (possible in SunOS, type `df /tmp' to find out)
and thus vanishes after a reboot, or if your system is particularly
thorough when cleaning up /tmp, clearing even non-empty subdirectories.

It should never be an efs remote filename because that would
defeat `efs-auto-save-remotely'.

Unless you set `auto-save-hash-p', you shouldn't set this to a
directory in a filesystem that does not support long filenames, since
a file named

    /home/sk/lib/emacs/lisp/auto-save.el

will have a longish filename like

    AUTO-SAVE-DIRECTORY/#\!home\!sk\!lib\!emacs\!lisp\!auto-save.el#

as auto save file.

See also variables `auto-save-directory-fallback',
`efs-auto-save' and `efs-auto-save-remotely'.

--
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.  Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the