On Sun, 07 May 2000, Ben Stanley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read some time ago on this list that somebody had:
>
>   1. Written code to handle budgeting
>   2. Was starting on coding a GUI for the budgeting
>   3. Was asking who would use it if it was done.

I did/am doing #1 and #3.  Because I was whining about #2, Dave Peticolas has
started this.

> I want to ask:
>
>   1. What was the final consensus on how to do budgeting?
>      ie through savings goals sub-accounts or what? (I lost track of
>      what was going on in that wild and heated discussion...)

Budgeting is set up as a report.  You will be enter your budget through a GUI.

Each budget line consists of two parts:
- what is essentially a query into the ledger.  (usually this is just an
account name)
- one or more budget entries ($x per month, $y per year) etc.

Each entry can cover an arbitrary period.

There are three types of entries:  regular bills, recurring expenses and
contingencies.

>   2. What is the current state of progress?

the todo list looks like:

;; TODO
;; "upcoming/overdue bills" report
;; GUI to enter budget
;; save/load budget
;; internationalization
;; speedup:  move subexpressions outside loops
;;           don't calculate values that aren't needed
;; graph budget progress
;; save report parameters - "favorite" reports
;; "unbudgeted" report
;; deal with non-integer periods (only if people ask for it.  I don't
;; think it's necessary and don't want to do it)

Right now I'm changing the budget structures slightly to accomodate Dave's GUI.

Bryan
--
Bryan Larsen, Senior Software Engineer & fall guy