It's been rumoured that Bryan Larsen said:

> >   2. What is the current state of progress?
>
> the todo list looks like:
>
> ;; TODO
> ;; "upcoming/overdue bills" report

Any sort of cleverness here, or will you simply look at the system
clock when gnucash is started up ... ?

> ;; save/load budget

How do you plan to store the data? Any ideas yet?  In a separate file?
Do you have to store pointers to any existing transactions?  Or have you
discovred a way of wedging this into the current file format (possibly
slightly modified?)

> ;; graph budget progress

when you go to graph budget progress, you will need to compute the data
to graph.  Is this going to be a module in the engine, or will it be
some scheme snippet?  More importantly, *should* it be in the engine?

The following may sound heretical to some, but: I occasionally think
about what it would take to put a www/cgi-bin interface on gnucash,
so you could use it entirely from a browser.  Where would I slice
gnucash so that I could do this?  Clearly, at the engine would be low
enough; could I slice it higher somewhere?  where? how?  This is a hard
question, but one that is worth keeping in mind when new features, such
as budgeting come in.

In general, is it time to create some plug-in infrastructure for the
'engine', where we define 'engine' as having to do with 'saving and
restoring from disk', and 'non-gui operations and manipulations' ?

--linas