> I'm curious...  1.3.7 appears to have changed the register by swapping the
> "deposit" and "payment" columns.  I suspect I'm far from the only person in
> the lamentable position of making rather more payments than deposits; thus
> this change just added a keystroke to almost every entry I make.  Is there
> a reason why that was done?

Yes there is, but we can make it configurable if this is desired.

The reason we swapped the columns is to be consistent with the
accounting practice of recording debits (increases in assets)
on the left column and credits (decreases in assets) on the
right column. We want GnuCash to be usable by both people
experienced in accounting and by people who don't know
accounting and don't care to.

If you like, we can add an option to switch them back.

I should mention that I plan on implementing transaction auto-fill
over the next few weeks, so the extra keystoke issue may become
less problematic.

thanks,
dave