Garrett Banuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   Maybe have 2 or 3 versions of gnucash. Source, binary and statically
> linked everything binary for a the linux newbies who wouldn't know how to
> install everything else.

It may be unrealistic, but I would like an install experience that's
as novice-friendly as the Windows and MacOS installers (but that works
a lot better and doesn't install needless junk on your machine).  What
that means to me is that you put a CD in the drive, double-click an
icon, and answer a minimal number of questions, and the rest is done
for you.  Of course you should also be able to escape this process and
install the RPM/deb by hand, or build from source, or run the
"friendly" installer and just produce a shell script of commands as
output that you can inspect and run at your leisure.

An installer that can deal with all this is probably a sophisticated
enough piece of software that it would deserve being "its own thing".

Bill Gribble