tboldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I think you are probably right in your assesment of double
> entry/single entry - however - and there is an however, How many
> non-professionals do you know that think in terms of double entry
> accounting??

This is a straw man.  There are lots of people using gnucash right now
with no problems and I doubt there are more than 5 people on this list
who could even vaguely be considered to be financial professionals.

Double entry bookkeeping is just not that hard.  Yes, there is a
learning curve, but there's a learning curve with EVERY piece of
software.  Given good documentation and tutorial instruction, someone
who wants to use the software will be able to figure out how.

> Again, I say who is your targeted primary user - the professional,
> semi-professional or the converted Quicken user?
>
> Can you satisfy all three? Should you satisfy all three?  Will you
> come up with the proverbial camel - a horse designed by a committee
> - if you try to satisfy all three?

It's just not all that interesting to talk about the problems that
hypothetical "average" users will have, when you keep insisting that
"average" users are too stupid to understand double entry.

I don't mean to dismiss your criticism, but you are just repeating the
same thing over and over, and it smells more and more like FUD.  Do
YOU PERSONALLY have problems understanding what gnucash is doing?  If
so, ask questions and we'll try to answer them.

It's a basic premise of gnucash that people are NOT too stupid to
understand double entry, and in fact that programs like Quicken
cripple people's abilities to store and analyze their financial
information by restricting them to an artificially simplistic model.
I think it would be wrong to try to replicate that "feature".

Bill Gribble