Clark Jones writes:
> Developers:
>
> This is at least the third time (counting myself) that I've seen this.  I'm
> running GnuCash (under Mandrake 7.0, 386) with guile 6.0 and readline 4.1.
> I'm not having any problems with these later libraries.  (I turned off the
> dependancy checking and planted the appropriate softlinks.)
>
> I would suggest that whoever's the keeper of the "makefile" that's used for
> the RPM please consider looking to see if you can't chop off the ".4" on
> libguile.so and the ".3" on libreadline.so so that we can use the "generic"
> softlinks.
>
> If there's not a specific reason to require the earlier version, please don't
> It makes it difficult for people who aren't familiar with how the .so librari
> work.  Even though I've dealt with this stuff on occasion for many years, it
> took me a while to figure out how to get around it.

The problem is one we're really not supposed to work around. As I
understand it, the idea behind changing the library major version is
that it is *supposed* to break backwards compatibility, because the
library developers have decided that the api has changed enough that
backwards compatibility cannot be supported.

In the guile case, it seems that "fooling" the system into using the
new library with a soft link will still work, but in general it's not
something we should be doing automatically.

The correct way to solve this problem would be to build a binary package
on a mandrake system, and have mandrake users use that instead. Ditto for
SuSE, etc.

dave