Clark Jones writes:
> Dave Peticolas wrote:
> [...]
> > As long as we build our packages on standard distributions, then
> > there won't be a problem, unless a user has upgraded their libraries
> > to incompatible versions. But if you're doing that, then you're on
> > your own anyway.
> >
> > dave
>
> Dave,
>
> The whole point is that the Mandrake 7.0 distribution includes a later
> (incompatible) version, and I was _UNABLE_ to find the supposedly
> _COMPATIBLE_ version of guile.  Capiche?  I DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

I understand all of this. I'm not disagreeing with you that we need
an rpm for Mandrake. One is in the works. GnuCash is not locked into
a particular version of the libraries, it's just the binary rpm which
uses guile-1.3, because it was built on redhat 6.2, which uses guile-1.3.

We are not building the packages in any special way which 'locks out'
other versions. It just so happens that, for guile, Redhat uses a
library with a different major version than Mandrake and SuSE.

One thing I should make clear is that when I say library version, I'm
refering to the major version of the .so file. This is different than
the version of the package. So you can often upgrade libraries with no
problem, because they use the same major version for the .so.

I'm sorry you're having troubles, and they should be resolved soon,
since a Mandrake rpm is being built.

thanks,
dave