Thanks to you both for your very prompt replies.  Using 1.2.5 was a
mistake.  I certainly had meant to use the most recent version so I
appreciate your pointing it out to me.  So, I tried 1.4 but I can't get
it to compile, even after upgrading guile to 1.4, which required
upgrading glib to 1.2.8, and gtk to gtk+ 1.2.8.  ./configure ends with
the following error message:

checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for deflateEnd in -lz... yes
checking for jpeg_read_scanlines in -ljpeg... yes
checking for png_read_image in -lpng... no
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
./configure: gnome-config: command not found
checking gtk-xmhtml/gtk-xmhtml.h... configure: error: Cannot find
gtk-xmhtml.h.  See the README for more info.

Gnome seems to work but SuSE didn't seem to put a 'gnome-config'
anywhere.  Any further suggestions?  Do I have to compile gnome to get
gnome-config?  Or is it just a problem of configure not finding where
SuSE puts things (I've gotten the impression the SuSE sometimes puts
things in unexpected places.)

Also, is gnucash-devel the right place to ask these questions?  I don't
believe there is a separate list devoted to help questions but I'd be
happy to use it instead.  Thanks in advance for any additional help!
Regards,
Andy