On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:04:30PM -0500, Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> For example, certain UK Govt Bonds have decimalized recently.  They
> were previously quoted in 32nds, and are now quoted in 100ths.  This
> is particularly annoying, since you can't convert old prices to new
> without loss of precision (i.e. 1/32 = 0.03125 = 3/100 + error).

I don't know that this is outside the scope of Gnucash, but there are
more complicated cases that come up frequently: currencies that get
redefined due to inflation.  (Euros are related.)  There
should be a flexible mechanism for dealing with these sorts of
problems, and I don't know that the shortcut the Bill Gribble's method
would provide is worth the cost.

Costs of storing denominators with each value include
- extra storage space
- additional checks to make sure denominators agree

Best,
        Dylan Thurston