On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> Income and Expense graphs:
>
> Quicken supports two sorts of these - bar graphs by period, and a pie
> chart summarizing either income sources and expenses by category.  It
> normally displays the two simultaneously, but there is no great
> benefit from it IMHO.  You can select which categories and accounts
> are included.
>
> I think we can do better - I think we could have the option to have
> stacked bars so that major subgroups (categories by a meta tag, for
> instance) could be viewed in the barchart.  Additionally, we could
> should be able to display multiple pie charts for regular time
> intervals.  As well, when selecting by account, we should be able to
> specify a depth to which accounts are done individually - below that,
> they should be consolidated for presentation.  However, it would be cool if
> we could expand or collapse account groups from the graph display.
>

> Net worth graph:
>
> The only way that a graph can show anything useful about net worth is
> to show its growth (hopefully) over time.  So I would propose a bar -
> or more likely a line graph which shows assets, liabilities, and net
> worth over a period.  We could just take data points at discrete
> intervals, but there isn't any reason why we couldn't (optionally) use
> more intervals and (optionally) some averaging and smoothing techniques.

        There are two standards the 50 and 200 day moving average. Is there a reason
why we couldn't make that a user option?

> Portfolio Balance:
>
> This is a simple pie chart showing where investments are concentrated.
> We obviously want something like this.  We would want to be able to
> subdivide by investment type (stocks/mutual funds/property/cash etc.),
> as well as being able to subdivide further (ie be able to distinguish
> by meta tag as well), and also display weightings by individual
> stock/fund etc.
>
> Also useful would be a sequence of pie charts showing how weightings
> have changed over time.

        I find I like line graphs whenever there is historical data.
This should be user optional.

> Investment performance:
>
> Again, Quicken displays two graphs simultaneously here, and I'm not
> sure of the usefulness of it.  They have a stacked bar graph showing
> the value of various asset classes in your portfolio on a monthly
> basis, and a bar graph showing the internal rate of return for each
> security, with a line showing the average IRR.

        Again I use line graphs. When comparing a stock(s) and an index
I normalize by the initial prices. This is useful to see how a General
Motors follows swings in the price of crude oil, for example! There are
few of us old dinosaurs who like information. If I want art, I'll go to a
museum.

Bob Stanfield
29 Ledge Lane
Pipersville, PA 18947