Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> Bob Stanfield writes:
[...]
>  >      There are two standards the 50 and 200 day moving average. Is there a reason
>  > why we couldn't make that a user option?
>  >
> None at all.

To be "user friendly", IMHO, the software should have "reasonable defaults"
but allow the [ab]user to select whatever value [s]he really desires.  I can
see where "15 day" or "90 day" moving averages might be interesting in some
situations...  having the choices be "50", "200", and "User specified" on a
menu would be reasonable.  I hope that this is what you had in mind.

[...]

>  >      Again I use line graphs. When comparing a stock(s) and an index
>  > I normalize by the initial prices. This is useful to see how a General
>  > Motors follows swings in the price of crude oil, for example! There are
>  > few of us old dinosaurs who like information. If I want art, I'll go to a
>  > museum.
>
> Believe me, I want our graphs to be informative.  If "pretty" and
> "informative" clash, I'd go for "informative" every time.  Where
> practical, we should provide choice.  And most of the time, there is
> no reason for there to be a clash between attractive and functional.

Unfortunately, I've had occasions in the past to [attempt to] work with
"suits" for whom "pretty" was more important than "informative".  Although
I generally agree that if there is a clash, "informative" is usually the
way to go, I would hope that the [ab]user can be the final "arbiter" on
this one.  (Just my 3/150 of a U.S. dollar's worth, to abuse another
recent thread.  :-)

                                                Clark
--
Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily
those of anyone else.  (As if anyone else would want them!)

Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             RF: KI7TU
ICBM: 33 22' 01" N 111 43' 52" W        Home Page: www.inficad.com/~jones