--On December 28, 2010 10:27:48 PM +0100 Christian Stimming <stimm...@tuhh.de> wrote:

It seems to me my C++ experiment (as I would call it) has still not
yet been  understood the way I thought, so I'll elaborate a bit on
what I did and what  my conclusions are. Incidentally, I'm a
scientist. If I make some claim, I  better get some arguments
together that support it.

In a previous job I was part of a group that reimplemented a significant part of an XML editing and publishing application that consisted of several million lines of mostly C code in C++. My experience with this agrees almost entirely with Christian's comments. The GUI is hard, modern tool kits and languages make it a lot easier, but it's still hard. Unless there is some other reason to reimplement things it probably isn't worth the trouble.

         Mike