--On May 13, 2014 9:17:58 PM +0100 Colin Law <clan...@gmail.com> wrote:

It’s not. I see no reason to abandon a branch just because it’s
merged into master, and if you really have a long-running branch
where you do all of your work, neither do you. It won’t avoid the
ladder look, either. There will just be a bunch of shortish branches
instead of one long one.

If you want to work in that way I suggest having a look at git rebase.
 Rather than merging the branch into master this effectively moves the
base of the branch along to the current master and makes the tree look
much simpler.

That's what I do. I rebase my branches onto master each time it is updated. This seems to work well and keeps the tree much simpler.

              Mike