On May 13, 2014, at 9:01 PM, Mike Alexander <m...@umich.edu> wrote:

> --On May 13, 2014 9:17:58 PM +0100 Colin Law <clan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> It’s not. I see no reason to abandon a branch just because it’s
>>> merged into master, and if you really have a long-running branch
>>> where you do all of your work, neither do you. It won’t avoid the
>>> ladder look, either. There will just be a bunch of shortish branches
>>> instead of one long one.
>>
>> If you want to work in that way I suggest having a look at git rebase.
>> Rather than merging the branch into master this effectively moves the
>> base of the branch along to the current master and makes the tree look
>> much simpler.
>
> That's what I do.  I rebase my branches onto master each time it is updated.
> This seems to work well and keeps the tree much simpler.

That's the SVN way. We discussed this back in March [1] and decided that we're
not going to do that anymore. If you want to revisit that you need a better
argument than "that's the way I've always done it", considering that the Git
community at large doesn't seem to consider it a "best practice".

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2014-March/037289.html