In the case of the Fedora 26 system it won't even let him connect, probably
because it doesn't have TLS 1.3 and Flathub (rightly) refuses to connect.

Fred, there's not enough info on the other failure. AFAIK Flatpak does indeed
work only on Linux, but doesn't care about the desktop environment. It installs
its own Gnome runtime and all the other needed dependencies.

Regards,
John Ralls