Op zaterdag 14 januari 2023 00:23:21 CET schreef Fred Tydeman:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM David H <hell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah seems to be a typo which will cause the remote-add to fail if you
> > already have the flathub repository installed as follows:-
> >
> > Wiki says - flatpak remote-add --user --if-not-exists *flathub*
> > https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
> > Should be - flatpak remote-add --user --if-not-exists *flathub-beta*
> > https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
>
> Thanks.  That fix lets me get farther.
> I have done a fresh install of Fedora 37 with Gnome 43.2 on Intel 64-bit
> CPU.
> When I try to install the beta, I get an error saying that beta requires
> runtime org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/43
> Is there some way to force the beta to use the system wide Gnome?

No, you can't. Runtimes are a fundamental base concept of flatpaks (and snaps
or
appimages by the way) and you can't avoid them.

These runtimes ensure that there's a known common set of libraries available on
the system
for the flatpak application to depend on, regardless of the state of the base
system. Aside
from allowing the application to install on systems that don't have the proper
base system, it
also eliminates a whole host of compatibility issues early on in the
development process.
Issues that otherwise have to be solved by distribution maintainers when they
package the
applications for the regular packaging system of said distro.

Personally I think both systems (flatpaks vs distro packages) have their own
distinct
advantages and disadvantages. And I think both have their place. However in
this particular
scenario - distributing beta software for testing - I believe the isolation is
actually a big
advantage.

So if you want to install the (beta) gnucash flatpak on your system you will
also have to
accept to install the required gnome runtime for it.

If this is a hurdle for you, consider you can also only install it for as long
as you want to beta
test gnucash. You can easily remove this runtime together with the gnucash beta
flatpak
when you're done testing with the "flatpak uninstall" command.

Regards,

Geert