On 6/28/2017 9:40 AM, m...@considine.net wrote:
Hi,

I think this is the right venue to ask this question. If not, I can hopefully get a pointer to where else to turn.

I need to figure out what - if any - file signatures could be used to identify gnucash data files. The need arises from a harddisk crash and recovery effort,

Horses and barn doors. And I am sure you will be better prepared next time. But others on the list should take note. And proper backup procedures are not just for gnucash:

a) Do not keep backups on the same device. Some day a disk may crash.
b) Ideally do not keep backups (not all of them) in the same location. You might make two copies, one to keep handy (for a data restore of a messed up file) and one stored off site for a more serious disaster. I learned THAT lesson in 2006 when a house fire (just one room actually burned) destroyed most of the backups kept in another room nearby (heat, smoke, and water)

What I personally do is have a couple of large external drives. These days a terabyte drive is only about $100. Sure slow going copying all the user data but you don't have to sit there while the computer chugs away making a copy of the data directory << you only need to do "systems" when you install software --- if instead of immediately updating every time you are notified of a new version but instead wait till you have several and do them at one time as a "build" you can space out THOSE backups >>

Michael D Novack