On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:52:41AM +0000, Buddha Buck wrote:

> GnuCash does not currently (to my knowledge) support any
> jurisdiction-specify tax policy or reporting requirements. To do so for one
> would imply that it should do so for all, and that is a maintenance
> nightmare. As such, I think it more likely that someone would write a
> program that can take reports or data that GnuCash can already generate
> (CSV exports? OFX exports?) and uploads the necessary info to HMRC.

A small program that takes a well defined import and can talk the HMRC Making
Tax Difficult protocol might be the best way forwards; similar programs could
then also be written to talk to the tax people in other countries - without
cluttering up the core of Gnucash.

I am not sure, however, if this would be enough to keep HMRC happy - they seem
to want verification of the whole accounts program ... I am talking about a
standalone shim/add-on.

I know many companies that have their own accounts s/ware, written over many
years that does just what they need. MTD could cause huge problems if there is a
lot of effort in getting these certified or if the companies need to change to
use an off-the-shelf/bought-in package.

I don't think that HMRC have thought about it from anything other than their
own perspective.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 08:03:45PM -0700, John Ralls wrote:

> GnuCash can generate TXF files that certain US and German tax prep software
> can support. Alex Aycinena maintains the former and Christian Stimming the
> latter, but Christian has had real life intervene and doesn’t at present have
> time to contribute code to GnuCash so I suspect that the German version is
> out of date.
>
> If anyone else would like to contribute a similar report for their country
> we’ll be happy to add it to the distribution, but one should bear in mind
> that doing so is a commitment to maintain it with typically annual updates.
>
> That applies to MTD as well: Of our current regular contributors only Mike
> Evans is British; if he’s not motivated to develop the support someone else
> from the UK will have to step up or it won’t happen.

I would be willing to help here.

However: I know nothing about Gnucash, neither as a developer nor a user. My own
small business accounts are essentially manual; if it were not for MTD I would
not see any benefit in changing this - so I want what will be least effort to
keep HMRC off my back.

--
Alain Williams
Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT