I imported transactions from my bank using "import ofx" which has
populated an account called "Imbalance-GBP" with various transactions.

One of the transactions represents paying in three cheques we had
received as payments for ads from three different customers which the
bank lumped together as one transaction.

>From googling I had come to the conclusion that I should set up a temporary
>holding
account (Account type: Asset), have that transaction pay into said account and
then make
three different transactions to Assets:Checking Account and use them to pay the
invoices.
However, when I (using the right click menu option while viewing all
transactions in said
holding account) assigned these
transactions as payments for the invoices the transaction was moved to
Accounts Receivable automatically and moving it back (by editing the
other end of the transaction in Assets:Checking Account) causes the
invoices to become unpaid.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, quite possibly by not even using the
right solution to begin with and I don't think banging my head against
the problem/google any more will be productive, what should I do?

In short, what is the proper way to handle the case where a single paying-in
transaction
needs to be reconciled against several invoices for multiple customers?

We try to encourage people to pay electronically, then none of this happens,
and in future
if we can not find a solution to this we will ensure that cheques are paid in
individually, but
we need to handle these historic transactions.

David