On 13/11/17 09:45 AM, David Goodenough wrote:
Does no-one else have this problem?

When we try to split the transaction in the imbalance account to allocate the
payment to
invoices we notice that it almost lets us add one split, but it does not
automatically
decrement the amount allocated to the imbalance account and so try to end up
with an
unbalanced split.  It will also only allow us to allocate one payment (after we
have made
the split balance), there is still an amount in the imbalance account which we
can not
allocate to another payment.

I have dealt with this by setting up a separate Asset account for receiving payments, similar to what you have. When a payment is received, it goes into this "Payment" account, and then when the bank deposit is made the appropriate amount is debited from the Payment account. This process adds a step between receipt of the cheque (thus acknowledging the invoice as paid) and depositing it. In effect, it is a buffer. It works whether the invoice is paid in full or only in part. No need to do any splits, which is where things seem to go south for you.

Cheers

Cam