I ran a balance sheet for 2016 and compared the two.  Everything looks the same until I reach the equity account.  Here is where the difference occurs (and I completely missed it initially).  In the GC file without the use of Trading Accounts, I have unrealized gains, whereas in the GC file using Trading Accounts, I have trading gains.

I think I need to start using Trading Accounts, if I want to obtain a more accurate set of accounts.

For what it is worth, I have been relying on my brokerage accounts to determine gains and losses for tax purposes.

I am thinking about copying my production GC file to my test computer and run balance sheet and income and expense for ye 2017 and compare.  I think it will be significant.

Les
p.s.: I did read the the link from Christopher.