Were either of you at any time storing your GnuCash files on an SD card?

If so, I’d suggest using a card to load the file, then doing a Save As
elsewhere (with the card still in the drive). Then close and re-open GnuCash to
load from the new location. THEN Safely Eject and remove the SD card.

Otherwise, some sort of bug is at play.